Only six ingredients (excluding salt and pepper) is all it takes to make this simple, creamy, silky soup without using any cream at all. This warm delicious zucchini soup is a perfect recipe to enjoy during winters.
- Cut the zucchini into small chunks. No need to peel the zucchini.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, then add the minced garlic cloves and fry for half a minute. You can also use garlic butter or olive oil in place of butter if you like.
- Add the chopped onion and sauté for 5 mins, until soft but not coloured.
- Add the chopped zucchini to the pan, then carry on cooking for 8-10 mins, stirring occasionally until it starts to soften and turn golden.
- Pour 1 cup of the vegetable stock into the pan. Bring to boil, then simmer for 5 mins until the zucchini is very soft.
- Cool for 10 minutes and puree with a hand blender or in a food processor.
- Pour the squash back into the pan and add the milk.
- Bring to a boil and keep stirring till the first boil so that the milk does not separate (curdle).
- After the first boil, add the remaining stock and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot with bread croutons or bread sticks. Garnish with butter or grated parmesan cheese if you want.
- For an extra-velvety consistency, you can now push the squash through a fine sieve after step 6.
- If the zucchini is very mature, its skin can provide a bitter taste to the soup. In this case, peel the skin for a sweeter (and paler) soup.
- Drizzle with more olive oil while serving, if you want.