Vegetarian Khao Suey
Khao Suey, a Burmese delicacy, is a one-pot meal with noodles and veggies cooked in coconut milk and garnished with peanuts and fried garlic. It is a wonderfully aromatic dish bursting with aromatic flavors.
- Besan ( Gram Flour ) - 2 Tbsp
- Coconut Milk - 2 cups
- Noodles - 100 gms
- Babycorn - 4-5 diced
- Carrots ( Gajar ) - 2 medium (julienne)
- Broccoli - 1/4 medium (separated into florets)
- Yellow Zucchini - 1 medium (julienne)
- French Beans - 5-6 (optional) diced
- Garlic - 2 Tbsp (chopped)
- Ginger - 2 inches (finely chopped)
- Stalk Lemongrass - 2 inch (finely chopped)
- Turmeric Powder ( Haldi ) - 1/2 Tsp
- Oil - 1 Tbsp
- Sugar - 1-2 Tsp (as per taste)
- Black Pepper Powder ( Kaali Mirch ) - As per taste
- Onions ( Pyaaz / Kanda ) - 2 Tbsp (Strands)
- Chilli Flakes - 1-2 Tsp (As per taste)
- Lemon Juice - 1-2 Tsp
- Chilli Oil - 1/2 Tsp (optional)
- Coriander ( Cilantro / Dhaniya ) leaves - Fresh sprigs (optional)
- Salt - As per taste
- Heat sufficient water in a deep pan. Add noodles, boil for 2-3 minutes, drain and transfer into a bowl.
- Grind together onion, garlic, ginger, lemongrass and turmeric powder into a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add ground paste and sauté well.
- Add gram flour, mix well and sauté for 5-6 minutes.
- Add 1 cup water, mix and cook further, whisk well.
- Now add coconut milk and whisk.
- Add 1.5 cups of water and mix well.
- Add salt, sugar and crushed peppercorns and mix well, bring to a boil.
- Add babycorn, carrot, cauliflower, mix well and boil.
- Add broccoli, zucchini and beans, mix well and boil for 3-4 minutes.
- Fry peanuts till they turn dark brown and crush them coarsely in a mortar with a pestle.
- Fry onion strands and garlic.
- Place the boiled noodles in a serving bowl.
- Top with cooked vegetables and pour the soup over.
- Sprinkle chilli flakes and drizzle lemon juice on top.
- Garnish with fried garlic, crushed peanuts and browned onions.
- Drizzle some chilli oil and finish with fresh coriander leaves if available.