Veg Fried Rice
Veg Fried rice is one of the easiest recipes to utilize leftover rice and one of my favourites. In fact this is a dish that I feel turns out better when cooked from leftover or cold rice rather than freshly cooked rice since freshly cooked rice becomes a little sticky while mixing with the vegetables and spices. I generally use capsicum, tomatoes and onions since they always available in my pantry, however you can use any vegetables of your choice in the recipe.
- Rice - 2 cups cooked
- Onions - 1 big (fine chopped)
- Capsicum ( Shimla Mirch / Green Bell Peppers ) - 1 big (fine chopped)
- Tomatoes - 1 big (fine chopped)
- Cumin Seeds ( Jeera ) - 1/8 tsp
- Salt - As per taste
- Red chilli powder ( Lal Mirch ) - 1/8 tsp or as preferred
- Garam Masala Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Chaat Masala - 1-2 pinches (optional)
- Oil / Ghee - 2-3 tsp
1. Heat the oil/ ghee in a kadhai. Add the cumin seeds and crackle them.
2. Add the chopped onions and saute till they turn translucent.
3. Now add the chopped capsicum and saute for 2-3 minutes. We want the capsicum to be cooked yet crunchy.
4. Now add the tomatoes and saute on high flame for another 2-3 minutes. Keep the flame high while sauteing the tomatoes so that they turn mushy.
5. Now add the salt and red chilli powder and mix well. Lower the flame.
6. Add the rice and mix well so that the the vegetable mixture gets distributed evenly throughout the rice.
7. Sprinkle the garam masala and chaat masala (totally optional, I add it for the extra flavour) and mix.
8.Remove from flame and serve hot with any curry dish, raita/curd or chutney.