Tomato Cheese Cream
Tomato cheese cream is my mom's special recipe which is essentially a paneer butter masala variant loaded with tomatoes and garnished generously with cream. My husband is a huge fan of this dish and does not stop till he finishes all that is there!!!
- Tomatoes ( Tamatar ) - 5 big
- Onions ( Pyaaz / Kanda ) - 2 medium
- Paneer ( Cottage Cheese ) - 200 gms
- Oil / Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds ( Jeera ) - 1/2 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder ( Haldi ) - 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder ( Lal Mirch ) - 1/4 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder - 1/4 tsp + some more for garnishing
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Low fat cream - For garnishing
- Sambhar Powder - 1/8 tsp (Optional)
- Shredded Coconut - A pinch (Optional)
- Salt - As required
- Sugar - A pinch
- Water - 2 cups
- Puree 3 tomatoes and dice the rest 2 into kind of squares of size 1 inch.
- Cut the paneer into pieces of size 1 inch in length and breadth and 1 cm in height.
- Grate both the onions.
- Heat the oil/ghee in a kadhai.
- Add the jeera seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the grated onions to the kadhai and saute till they turn slightly golden brown.
- Now add the tomato puree and sautee till it thickens and most of the moisture evaporates.
- Add the milk to the sauteed onion and tomato mixture. Mix well and keep stirring till the milk is totally absorbed and fat starts appearing on the edge of the mixture. This step is very crucial to add that extra layer of flavour to the gravy.
- Now add the shredded coconut and all the spices except the salt and garam masala powder.
- Mix well for 2 minutes and add the water. Stir well and let it come to a smooth consistency.
- Now add the salt and let the gravy come to a boil.
- Add the garam masala, mix well and turn off the heat. Put it aside till serving time.
- At the time of serving, turn on the flame under the kadhao and add the tomato and paneer pieces to it. Heat for 3-4 mins.
- Transfer to a bowl and garnish with garam masala powder. Add a generous garnishing of cream and serve with rotis/ parathas/ naan.