Plaintain Stir Fry
Plantains are basically a more starchy and slightly less sweet version of a banana. Plantains are a good source of potassium but they’re also full of carbs.When you cook with plantains, go for the green (aka raw) plantains if you want to make a savory dish. Green plantains are great because when you cook or make a stir fry with them, it’ll taste more like you’re eating potatoes than it will bananas. This is an extremely simple recipe using plaintains with spicy and tangy flavours complementing the sweetness of the plaintains well for a well balanced dish.
- Raw Plaintains ( Kachca Kela ) - 4
- Onions ( Pyaaz / Kanda ) - 1 medium (sliced)
- Curry Leaves - 10-12 or more as per preference
- Rai ( Sarson / Mustard Seeds ) - 1/4 tsp
- Sambhar Powder - 2-3 tsp
- Red chilli powder ( Lal Mirch ) - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - As per taste
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Lemon Juice - 2 tsp (optional)
- Water - For boiling the plaintains
- Boil the plaintains in a pressure cooker for 2 whistles.
- Meanwhile, wash the curry leaves thoroughly and pat them dry.
- Once the pressure is released from the cooker, remove the boiled plaintains from it and peel them.
- Slit the plaintains into 2 pieces vertically and then into slices of height 1/2 cms.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and crackle the mustard seeds.
- Add the curry leaves to the kadhai and fry for a minute.
- Now add the onion slices and saute till they turn golden brown.
- Now add the sambhar powder and red chilli powder. Mix well and saute for 2-3 minutes till the spices get cooked. Add the salt and mix well.
- Add the boiled plaintain pieces and mix together.
- Sprinkle the lemon juice and mix well. This step is optional but I prefer to add it for a nice slightly tangy touch.