Namkeen Sevaiyan ( Vermicelli Upma )
- Sevaiyan ( Vermicelli ) - 1 cup (roasted)
- Onions - 1 Medium (sliced lengthwise)
- Tomatoes - 1 Medium (chopped)
- Green Chillis - 1 (finely chopped)
- Rai ( Sarson / Mustard Seeds ) - 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves - 5-6
- Peas - 1/2 cup
- Turmeric Powder ( Haldi ) - 1/4 tsp
- Water - As required
- Oil / Ghee - 1 tsp
- Salt - To taste
- Lemon Juice - 2 tsp (optional)
1. Boil the vermicelli and peas with the salt and turmeric powder in pressure cooker for 1 whistle. Turn off the heat and drain the boiled vermicelli in a colander. Rinse the vermicelli with cold water to stop the cooking process
2. Heat oil in a pan/kadhai. Add the mustard seeds and let them pop in the oil. Add the curry leaves and fry them for about half a minute.
3. Add the onions and sauté till they become translucent. Add the tomatoes and sauté for 2-3 mins.
4. Now add the green chilli, some more salt (depending on how much you put in while boiling the vermicelli) and stir for a few seconds.
5. Add the vermicelli and mix thoroughly taking care not to break the vermicelli strands..
6. Switch off the fire, mix the lemon juice and serve hot.
1. Add 2-3 drops of oil while boiling the vermicelli so that they do not stick to each other.
2. Mix the vermicelli atleast 15-20 mins after draining so that they don’t become mushy/ watery on mixing with the sautéed vegetable mixture.