Mini Pancake Pizzas
Keeping up our resolution of not eating bread, me and my husband had not eaten bread or any similar products for the last 4 months. Howevr, being the food lovers that we are, we could not stay away from pizzas for so long. That is when I stumbled upon this simple yet wonderful recipe for making pizzas at home without using storebought pizza base. So i gae it a shot this weekend...took a little more effort than usual but was totally worth it.
- For the base
- Capsicum ( Shimla Mirch / Green Bell Peppers ) - 1 big
- Whole wheat flour - 1/3 cup
- Semolina ( Rawa / Sooji ) - 1 tbsp
- Baking Powder - 1 tsp
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Salt - To taste
- Oregano - 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Water - 1/4 to 1/2 cup (as required
- For toppings ( not exceeding more than 1/2 cup in total )
- Onions - Chopped
- Tomatoes - Chopped
- Corn Kernels - Boiled
- Capsicum ( Shimla Mirch / Green Bell Peppers ) - Chopped
- Processed Cheese - 1/4 cup shredded (mozarella or cheddar)
- Salt - As per taste
- Black Pepper Powder ( Kaali Mirch ) - As per taste
- Pizza Sauce - As needed (Can ve replaced with tomato ketchup or hot n sweet sauce)
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients under ‘for pancake’ except the capsicum. Whisk well and let it rest in a warm place for atleast 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, core the capsicum and slice it into rings of approx. 1 cm.
- After 30 minutes, the batter should have puffed up a bit and should be of pouring consistency, ready to make the pancakes.
- Heat a non-stick tawa/flat-base pan at medium-low flame and apply about 1 tsp oil to it.
- Once hot, place the capsicum roundel on the tawa. Sprinkle them with a pinch of salt. Do not overcrowd the tawa. If your tawa is of a small size, prepare in batches.
- Carefully, pour the pancake batter inside each capsicum ring. Do not let the batter overflow. Pour the batter enough for the capsicum to handle.
- Apply some oil through the capsicum edges, cover with a lid and let it roast for 3-4 minutes.
- Carefully flip the rings and let it roast for another 3-4 minutes. Check that it is thoroughly cooked from inside by inserting a tooth pick and remove from flame.
- Preheat the oven to 180º C.
- Apply some pizza sauce/ ketchup over each pancake and top with your desired amount of toppings and cheese. Sprinkle some salt and pepper.
- Grill in the oven for 5-10 mins till the cheese melts.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot with red chili flakes and Italian seasonings.
- Since whole wheat flour is used, it needs more water for the batter. Add water if you think it needs some more.
- Make sure the pancake is cooked perfectly before transforming it into a pizza. This is important for the final pizza to be stable.