Matar ki Tahiri
1. Wash and soak the rice in water for 30-45 mins.
2. After the rice are soaked, add ghee in a pressure cooker or a kadhai. Add the bay leaves and black cardamoms and stir for 2 mins.
2. Add the cumin seeds and crackle them.
3. Add the green peas and stir for 2-3 mins. Add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder and garam masala powder and stir for another 2-3 mins to cook out the spices.
4. Now add the water and salt and let the mixture come to a boil. In case you are using a pressure cooker, put in 2 cups of water. Use 3 cups of water in case you are using an skillet / kadhai.
5. Add the rice, stir slightly and close the lid.
6. Wait for 2 whistles and then turn off the gas when using a pressure cooker.
7. If using a skillet, the rice will take 20-30 mins to cook and you will have to keep checking and mixing in between to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom. Turn off the gas once all the water has evaporated.
5. Serve hot with raita, green chutney, pickle etc. Garnish the tahiri with a pinch of garam masala and a few drops of ghee for a mouth-watering aroma.