Kala Chana Masala
Kaale chane/ black chickpeas are a rich source of protein and are excellent for growing up kids and people who are into sports or need lots of energy. They should be cooked really well since they might be difficult to digest for some folks. Therefore, adding cumin and asafoetida help in the digestion.
- Kala Chana / Black chickeas - 1 cup
- Onions - 1 medium (fine chopped)
- Tomatoes - 1 large (fine chopped)
- Green Chillis - 1 (fine chopped)
- Ginger - 2 tsp (thin strips)
- Asafoetida ( Hing ) - A pinch
- Cumin Seeds ( Jeera ) - 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder ( Lal Mirch ) - 1/4 tsp
- Chana Masala - 1 tbsp
- Amchoor ( Dry Mango Powder ) - 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder
- Salt - As required
- Oil / Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Water - 3 cups (for soaking)
1. Soak the black chickpeas or kala chana overnight or for 8-9 hours.
2. Add the soaked chana in a pressure cooker along with 3 cups of water and salt. Close the lid and cook on high or medium flame for 8-9 whistles or more till the chane are cooked well and softened.
3. Add 1 tbsp of ghee or oil in a kadhai. Add the cumin seeds, crackle them and then add a pinch of asafoetida.
3. Add the finely chopped onions and sauté them till they become light golden.
4. Add the tomateoes, green chilli and ginger.
5. Sauté till the oil starts leaving from the sides of the onion-tomato masala.
6. Add the red chili powder and chana masala and sauté for a minute.
7. Add 1 tbsp of water in which the kale chane were boiled from the pressure cooker. Let it mix with the masala for a minute.
8. Now add the boiled kala chana and mix well.
9. Add the garam masala powder and amchoor and stir.
10. Garnish the kala chana masala with coriander leaves and ginger strips and serve hot with rotis / parathas.
Do not throw away the remaining water from the boiled chickpeas. It is a very good source of protein and you can drink it just like that. If needed, you can add a pinch of pepper to it for flavour.