- Yield: 1 medium jar
- Prep Time: 5 mins minutes
- Cook Time: 30 mins minutes
Cornflakes n Poha Chivda
Growing up, my mom never prepared any kind of dry snacks or namkeen at home except for namk paare, shakar paare and mathri and therefore I was not aware of them. But homemade namkeens and snacks are something that one can always find at my in-laws' place. I am a huge fan of all the snacks but corn flakes and namkeen chivda is my favorite to munch on. My mother-in-law always ensures that it is ready in large quantities for me whenever I visit them....so here I am sharing her recipe for it 🙂
1. Pour oil in a kadhai and heat till its moderately hot.
2. Take bout 1/3rd cup of the corn flakes in a sieve and immerse in the hot oil. Lower the flame.
3. Fry the corn flakes, strirring wrh a spoon till they expand and become golden and crisp. Don't brown the cor flakes.
4. Remove the sieve from the kadhai. Shake it it to remove excess oil. Drain the corn flakes on a plate lined with tissues or kitchen paper towel.
5. Fry the rest of the corn flakes in the same way.
6. Now add poha to the sieve 1/2 cup at a time and fry them in the same way. The poha flakes should expand to double their size but their color should remain the same.
7. Now add peanuts to the sieve and fry them in the same way till they turn crispy and crunchy.
8. Mix the fried corn flakes, chivda and peanuts with the salt and chaat masala.
9. Once the mixture cools down, store in an airtight container. It can be used for 2 months.
1. In case you don't want to deep fry the poha, you can also shallow fry the poha but in that case you should use patla (thin grains) poha.
2. You can also add roasted curry leaves and fried coconut (ripe) pieces to the namkeen mixture.