Baked Zucchini Pasta
Well, both me and my husband are zucchini lovers. The good thing about zucchini is that even though it doesn't have much of a taste of its own, it is great at absorbing flavours. Also, its texture goes so well with pasta that we decided to make a baked pasta dish with zucchini as the only vegetable in it. It turned out yummy with the flavourful zucchini and the cheese melting in the mouth and the olive oil made it even yummier. So here is a very simple recipe which is one of our favourites.
- Pasta - 2 cups (Any shape of your preference, I used fusili)
- Zucchini - 1 medium
- Onions - 1 big (sliced)
- Tomatoes - 1 small (chopped)
- Tomato Puree - 200 ml
- Garlic - 3-4 cloves (chopped)
- Processed Cheese - 4 slices
- Processed Cheese - 1/2 cup grated (cheddar/mozarella)
- Salt - As per taste
- Black Pepper Powder ( Kaali Mirch ) - 1/2 tsp
- Chilli Flakes - 1/8 tsp
- Oregano / Italian Seasoning - 1/4 tsp
- Olive Oil - 1 tbsp
- Butter - 20-25 gms
- Water - For boiling the pasta
1. Boil water in a pot. Once it starts boiling, add 1 tsp salt and the pasta to it. Let it cook till almost 90% done but not fully cooked.
2. Slit the zucchini into 4 quarters and cut each into slices of height 3-4 mm.
3. Heat the butter in a kadhai/ wok and add the garlice to it.
4. Fry for a minute and add the onion slices. Saute till they become translucent.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes and zucchini. Saute on high flame for 5 mins.
6. Now add the tomato puree, salt and black pepper powder. Mix well and cook for another 5 mins.
7. Strain the pasta and add it to the wok. Also add the chili flakes and oregano. Mix well.
8. Cook for 2 mins and mix the olive oil as well.
9. Preheat the oven to 220°C.
10. Transfer half the pasta to a glass baking dish and spread a layer.
11. Now cover this layer with the cheese slices.
12.Layer the remaining pasta on top.
13. Cover with the grated cheese and bake for 15 mins till the top cheese layer melts and turns golden brown in colour.
14. Serve hot.