Aloo Mangodi ki Tahiri
At times, when I am in a lazy mood and want to cook a quick pulao or tahiri but bored of the vegetable and rice combination, I think of mangodi (moong dal vadi). Mangodi is a traditional Rajasthani food and a part of my mother's marwari heritage. Since I used to hate moong dal as a kid, my mom often used to cook dishes using mangodi for me. You can find the recipe to make mangodi at home here.
1. Wash the rice and soak in water. Keep aside for half an hour.
2.Place the mangodis on a clean plastic and wrap with another clean plastic sheet. Now using a rolling pin, crush them into coarse pieces (size of whole black pepper).
3. Roast the crushed mangodis in with a little ghee in a pan till they turn light brown.
4. Pressure cook the roasted mangodis with water for 3-4 whistles. Drain the mangodis and retain the water.
5. Heat the ghee in a kadhai. Add the cumin seeds and splutter them. Add the sliced potatoes and sauté for a minute.
6. Add the water, salt, turmeric, red chilli powder and garam masala powder. Let it come to a boil.
7. Add the soaked rice and boiled mangodis. Stir well and cover with a lid. Keep on medium flame.
8. After ~4-5 mins, check on the rice and lower the flame. Rice should take another 10-15 mins to cook.
9. Once all the water evaporates and the rice is cooked, turn off the flame. garnish with garam masala powder and a few drops of ghee for a wonderful aroma. Serve hot with pickle, green chutney and raita/ curd.